I have a ton of what I call “crap piles” in my house. Before you freak out, it’s just what I call those piles of papers, random sticky notes & receipts that I scoop and dump into drawers when people come over or when I need to get to something else. Since moving my office back home, there are no less than 15 now. Yeah, it’s pretty severe.
But all is not lost! I have found a way that I can get a lot sorted in a little time. I used to try to think of everything then make labels, sort and put away. Not any more. I sort as I go, making piles and then when I get finished I make labels then put away. For some of you, this was a “duh!” but it took me forever to learn to sort that way. I don’t know why, but it seemed like I had to figure out what to do before I got started. But now, using this method, I see it’s easier to start and then adapt as I go along. Uh oh…uh oh…did you just see that revelation? Yeah, you can’t see to the bottom of the pile when you’re starting out, sweetie! So just keep going, stay diligent and when you get to the end, it’ll all be sorted out. It’s ok to not see everything. It can be overwhelming! But just hang in there, it’ll all work out!
You have GOT to hear the message included in this announcement! Comment after you do!
The real truth about small business. It’s a blessing & a true process. Here’s more advice.
You’re still reading these things? Well, aren’t you a soldier!? LOL Ok, seriously, thanks for coming back. If it’s your first time reading the posts from the Business Series, be sure to go back and catch up. Even though these videos are very informational by themselves, sometimes the order is important. Here’s the video feature for today! There’s also a part 2.
No, that’s not a typo or joke. You CAN and SHOULD use this method & keep those pennies in your POCKET where they belong! Let me show you how we did it!
I’ll be honest, I had a mini rant at the beginning of this video because of some business owner drama. If you’re interested in some REALLY great information, just get past the first few minutes of craziness of this video and there are some real nuggets there. The questions you need answered about vendors, pricing and other annoying but relevant topics, LISTEN TO THIS!
Hey everyone! I’ve posted this on FB already, but thought it was a worthy share. Here’s some awesome tips for you that may help your month go a bit smoother. Enjoy! (Also, if you have tips, PLEASE SHARE!!)
- Find something that inspires you and write about it. Your daily walk in the park, having a great cup of coffee when you finally decided to change brands, whatever. We wanna hear about it.
- Those catchy mugs, tees and pictures with slogans in your house? Write about how they make you feel. Someone else wants to hear about that.
- Random insightful moments are GOLDEN. Take time to write how you feel about them!
- Don’t reinvent the wheel. Find inspiration from other’s posts & revamp them!
- Work backwards. Start with something that makes you feel. Then write about it.
- When you don’t have time to write, make a list of “stuff to write about”. I used to keep a jar of ideas on my desk where I’d always write. It was so great to pull an idea when my well had run dry!
- Recall a silly memory. Tell us about it.
- Ask someone else what’s interesting, troubling or inspiring to them. That’s a month of posts right there.
- Do your kids do crazy, goofy or really dumb stuff? Child, that’s worth its weight in diamonds!
- Pull out the Bible and stick your finger in it. Read where your finger rests. Write about what the Scripture says to you.
Ok, that’s probably enough to get a few good posts going. What ideas or methods do you use to get your creative writing going?
If you follow me on FB, you’ve seen my video shares from my FB group, Bottleneck Busters. It’s where I share all types of advice, resources, inspirations & encouragement for business owners and those intending to start their own business. I always give an honest, open perspective on opening your own business. So if this is something you’ve wondered about or are currently struggling with, be sure to follow the series! I’ll be highlighting some of my past videos from earlier in 2017. Let’s get started…
Instagram is awesome. If you know how to utilize it. Here are 5 things I’d suggest from experience.
- Know if you should use it. It’s not for every business. But if you have a visual business (where seeing your product/service in action would help people see & understand what you do) & it’s worth the time & tools needed, go for it!
- Know how to use it. Take one of the billion free webinars on it. Try SCORE.ORG first & foremost. They have nothing to gain by you learning from them & they’re free. They have reputable info & the mentors in the organization have been where you are & retired as a champ (multi billion dollar industry leaders) in their respective arena.
- Know when to use it. Don’t be on there posting all times of the day and night. There are some basic rules (most people say no more than one to 3 posts a day, but it depends on your business). Be careful when you post because there’s a magical hour when all the pervs come out and #instagood becomes #instagross.
- Know where to use it. This is not the time to use your bathroom selfies. Unless your business is about taking bathroom selfies. Taking good, clear, interesting (conversation starting) photos that will DIRECT PEOPLE TO YOUR BUSINESS is key. Yes, food pics get you likes, but you know doggone well you don’t sell donuts, so stop posting about it. Your pics should tell people what you do, how you do it & show how your clients/customers love you.
- Know who to reach by using it. Remember the magical perv hour I spoke of earlier? There’s also a magical customer hour and a magical business contact hour. BE SURE TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. I notice that I have a lot of others who have jewelry businesses following me. That’s cool, I guess, but I stopped following them back. Why? They skew my numbers. I’m looking for customers more than networking on IG. If I want to contact business owners, I can DM them. Or use LinkedIn.
But when I use my Iconosquare data to see how I’m doing (I’ll give more info on that in a sec), I don’t want to use data that will tell me when to reach another business. I want to look at my feed and see a bunch of women who wear statement jewelry & will always want more. If it’s not showing me that, I’m doing something wrong. Speaking of IG data, try the Iconosquare site. It’s free for basic info & you can upgrade to get even more. But I can use it to track my analytics on IG. It hasn’t let me down yet. I know when my followers are on, what filters & pics they like most, what hashtags are hot and which hashtags I’m under utilizing. I can see my own feed, the feeds of my followers & who I’m following. But the best part is the analytics by far. I love that the site will tell me when the best days & times are to post based on my followers’ interactions with me. Who doesn’t want that? There are a ton of other resources that would take too long to expound on. So check it out. Tell me what you think.
Alrighty, I hope this helps. If you have questions, just drop me a line!
UPDATE: As I was checking my optimization (where all the really good data is), I found out that Iconosquare now charges for analytics. Yeah, it’s a whopping $2.40 a month now!
But I think that it’s more than worth it if you use it on a regular basis. Anyone’s business would greatly benefit from it to avoid just putting stuff out there and hoping for the best. I’d pay someone just to not have to figure all that data out myself!! And the service has been free for 4 years, so I think they’re more than justified to ask for that amount. What do you think?
UPDATE ON THE UPDATE: Anyone using IG now see that they’ve added the insights area to the top row of buttons in your feed. YAYYYY! If you’re serious about your business, track that data from week to week to see how you’re doing. It’s made a world of difference for our businesses. I also now use an app that tracks when people follow/unfollow me. Some people follow you then immediately dump you once you follow back. It makes their numbers look good and it’s a jerk move. Like dumping someone via text. Homey don’t play that! (I just really dated myself. Wow.) Anyway, stay on top of that data! If you need my help with it, just let me know and I can do a video to help you out.